Giant airships about to grace California skies! - Los Angeles
New airship will take to the skies within months, could usher in a new age of flight.
A massive airship has been completed in Southern California and has begun indoor testing. The airship evokes memories of zeppelins and blimps, but with a modern twist.
The completed airship has already begun initial testing.
The airship was built on a contract from the Pentagon and NASA. The airship, if it works, will allow the military to transport heavy cargoes for possibly thousands of miles for pinpoint delivery without the need for a runway and other infrastructure used by traditional aircraft.
Airships have long been envisioned with a similar purpose, but fell out of fashion in the 1930s after the Hindenburg disaster and the loss of several other airships in poor weather and other accidents.
The next generation of airships should be much safer, built with stronger and safer materials and equipped with modern technology to ensure reliable and safe operation.
If the new airship is successful, it could usher in a new era with several civilian uses also envisioned.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Aero, airship, Worldwide Aeros, zeppelin, blimp, testing, first flight
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?