Illinois to give illegal immigrants licenses
Some 250k expected to apply.
Governor Quinn has a bill on its way to his desk that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain temporary driver's licenses in Illinois. The Governor supports the bill, which proved controversial in the legislature.
The legislature will send to Quinn the bill that will allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses.
Meanwhile, supporters see it as a security issue.
Estimates are that some 250,000 individuals will apply for the new licenses that would be valid for three years. They would also be renewable.
All that will be required will be one year of residence in Illinois, and copies of bills to prove residence. The licenses could also be sued for identification purposes.
However, the licenses cannot be used for doing other things such as purchasing a gun or voting.
Opponents of the bill want to see additional security added to it, such as fingerprinting. The bill's supporters oppose fingerprinting because it would add substantial cost to the program.
However, Republican House leader, Tom Cross said that Illinois should welcome immigrants "who want to work, who want to be part of our communities. We should work with them, not fight with them."
Quinn has already pledged to sign the bill.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?