Illinois to give illegal immigrants licenses
Some 250k expected to apply.
Governor Quinn has a bill on its way to his desk that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain temporary driver's licenses in Illinois. The Governor supports the bill, which proved controversial in the legislature.
The legislature will send to Quinn the bill that will allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses.
Meanwhile, supporters see it as a security issue.
Estimates are that some 250,000 individuals will apply for the new licenses that would be valid for three years. They would also be renewable.
All that will be required will be one year of residence in Illinois, and copies of bills to prove residence. The licenses could also be sued for identification purposes.
However, the licenses cannot be used for doing other things such as purchasing a gun or voting.
Opponents of the bill want to see additional security added to it, such as fingerprinting. The bill's supporters oppose fingerprinting because it would add substantial cost to the program.
However, Republican House leader, Tom Cross said that Illinois should welcome immigrants "who want to work, who want to be part of our communities. We should work with them, not fight with them."
Quinn has already pledged to sign the bill.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?