Diocese of Camden gets new bishop - Philadelphia
Dennis J. Sullivan comes with great experience to the diocese.
The Diocese of Camden has a new Bishop. The Vatican has appointed Dennis J. Sullivan to replace the current Camden Bishop, Joseph Galante.
Galante, 74 had asked the Vatican for permission to retire because of health concerns including diabetes and kidney disease. Galante is on dialysis.
Sullivan, 67, has been auxiliary bishop in New York since 2004 and vicar general of the archdiocese, which is one of the largest in the country. He has also served on the subcommittee for Asian Affairs under the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Sullivan, speaking at a news conference this morning, told the community that the Church must maintain its focus on the poor.
Many Catholics are welcoming the news, some because Galante deserves the retirement as a faithful servant, and others because he lost popularity by promoting a plan to close over a hundred parishes in the diocese. Despite the controversial plan, many of the closures were approved by the Vatican. The parishes were proving to be too costly to maintain.
Now, these concerns will belong to Sullivan. It remains to be seen how he will approach them.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- When the Alleluia's End: Learning Life Lessons from Job and His Fair-weather 'Friends'
- Be Blessed, Not Depressed: Dr Denton Weiss on Overcoming Depression
- Deal Hudson Visits a Welcoming Catholic Parish: Water in the Arizona Desert
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?