Diocese of Camden gets new bishop - Philadelphia
Dennis J. Sullivan comes with great experience to the diocese.
The Diocese of Camden has a new Bishop. The Vatican has appointed Dennis J. Sullivan to replace the current Camden Bishop, Joseph Galante.
Galante, 74 had asked the Vatican for permission to retire because of health concerns including diabetes and kidney disease. Galante is on dialysis.
Sullivan, 67, has been auxiliary bishop in New York since 2004 and vicar general of the archdiocese, which is one of the largest in the country. He has also served on the subcommittee for Asian Affairs under the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Sullivan, speaking at a news conference this morning, told the community that the Church must maintain its focus on the poor.
Many Catholics are welcoming the news, some because Galante deserves the retirement as a faithful servant, and others because he lost popularity by promoting a plan to close over a hundred parishes in the diocese. Despite the controversial plan, many of the closures were approved by the Vatican. The parishes were proving to be too costly to maintain.
Now, these concerns will belong to Sullivan. It remains to be seen how he will approach them.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- WAS IT A LIE? Family says they DID tip gay server, despite Internet story
- Guest Opinion: The Laugh-A-Minute Abortion Telethon
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?