Chicago passes 500 homicides for the year, could global warming be to blame?
Chicago has reached a grim milestone, 500 murders in the city within one year. The city almost missed the mark, however murders on Thursday night and Friday morning closed the gap just three days before the new year.
More people have been murdered in Chicago this year than have died from combat in Afghanistan.
Tragically, domestic violence claimed the life of Nathaniel T. Jackson, 40, as he was shot to death outside an Austin neighborhood store.
Could global warming be to blame?
For 2012, Chicago homicides are up 17 percent over 2011. The prevailing theory is that unseasonably warm weather in the early part of the year led to a spike in the murder rate. In fact, during the first three months of the year, the Chicago murder rate was 60 percent higher than it was for the same period in 2011.
The 500 milestone is a dreaded number and does nothing to build the reputation of a city struggling to revitalize after years of recession.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: global warming, murder rate, Chicago
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?