Guns for groceries in LA, a gut reaction to Sandy Hook - Los Angeles
Butter or guns? Many LA residents chose butter.
Hundreds of Los Angeles residents lined up over the weekend to exchange their guns for groceries. Moved up from Mother's Day in reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, the buyback gave people grocery cards in exchange for guns, no questions asked.
The LAPD haggled with the public, offering cards that were redeemable at Ralph's chain of grocery stores in exchange for the weapons. At least one person made off with $1,000 worth of cards after exchanging 22 guns.
Generally, police offered up to $100 for handguns, shotguns, and rifles, and up to $200 for assault weapons.
Some of the weapons were illegally altered, but this did not deter owners from giving them up, nor police from accepting them. No questions were asked during the buyback.
Such programs can remove thousands of firearms from the street in a single day. The event in Los Angeles is an annual affair. It is unclear if it will be repeated on Mother's Day in May when it is traditionally held.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?