Guns for groceries in LA, a gut reaction to Sandy Hook - Los Angeles
Butter or guns? Many LA residents chose butter.
Hundreds of Los Angeles residents lined up over the weekend to exchange their guns for groceries. Moved up from Mother's Day in reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, the buyback gave people grocery cards in exchange for guns, no questions asked.
Some of the guns exchanged for groceries.
The LAPD haggled with the public, offering cards that were redeemable at Ralph's chain of grocery stores in exchange for the weapons. At least one person made off with $1,000 worth of cards after exchanging 22 guns.
Generally, police offered up to $100 for handguns, shotguns, and rifles, and up to $200 for assault weapons.
Some of the weapons were illegally altered, but this did not deter owners from giving them up, nor police from accepting them. No questions were asked during the buyback.
Such programs can remove thousands of firearms from the street in a single day. The event in Los Angeles is an annual affair. It is unclear if it will be repeated on Mother's Day in May when it is traditionally held.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: buyback, LAPD, guns, groceries, Sandy Hook
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?