Teen computer genuis busted for busting neighbors - Los Angeles
Swatting teen caught.
A boy-genius has been arrested for "swatting" several celebrities and possibly businesses in the Los Angeles area. Swatting is a type of cybercrime that endangers lives and bullies people.
Swatting is a type of cybercrime where a caller uses a computer to call 911 to report a dangerous situation that requires rapid deployment of a SWAT team.
The caller's voice and phone number are disguised. In at least one incident, the call appeared to originate within the victim's own home.
In the current case, detectives say they have arrested a teenage boy who appears to have very advanced computer skills. The teen has been connected to several high-profile swatting incidents.
Swatting calls require the skilled use of a computer and special software such as that used by the deaf to make calls. Swatting first emerged as a prank played by small-time hackers who wanted to bully others. However, several high-profile incidents involving celebrity figures have brought swatting to national attention.
Aside from initiating a false 911 call, swatting requires a swift, usually armed response. That response can cost thousands of dollars and endanger lives.
At least one officer has been injured while responding to a swatting incident earlier in the year.
While no charges have been filed yet, they are likely pending. It is hoped this brings an end to the swatting incidents in Los Angeles.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?