Early morning quake hits So Cal, no damage - Los Angeles
Magnitude 6.3 quake struck far offshore.
A 6.3 earthquake struck off the California coast this morning, but for most the shaking was very light or hardly felt at all. The quake did not originate from the San Andreas fault and its associated fractures. No damage or injuries have occurred.
The quake was felt more strongly in some areas than others, but was still weak by the time its seismic waves reached land.
The quake was felt as far north as the southern San Joaquin Valley and as far south as Ensenada, Mexico and a little beyond.
The most shaking occurred in San Diego, where some residents were stirred awake, but without harm.
As the energy released by earthquakes travels through regions with different mineral compositions, some minerals transmit the energy more efficiently. This peculiar feature means that distant quakes can sometimes be felt more strongly in certain areas than others.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?