Early morning quake hits So Cal, no damage - Los Angeles
Magnitude 6.3 quake struck far offshore.
A 6.3 earthquake struck off the California coast this morning, but for most the shaking was very light or hardly felt at all. The quake did not originate from the San Andreas fault and its associated fractures. No damage or injuries have occurred.
The quake was felt more strongly in some areas than others, but was still weak by the time its seismic waves reached land.
The quake was felt as far north as the southern San Joaquin Valley and as far south as Ensenada, Mexico and a little beyond.
The most shaking occurred in San Diego, where some residents were stirred awake, but without harm.
As the energy released by earthquakes travels through regions with different mineral compositions, some minerals transmit the energy more efficiently. This peculiar feature means that distant quakes can sometimes be felt more strongly in certain areas than others.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Quake, 6.3 earthquake, Los Angeles, San Diego, Ensenada
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?