Claim jumpers on the moon? - Denver
Golden Spike plans to fly astronatus to the moon, for a price.
Golden Spike Co. is planning to send humans to the moon on private spacecraft, but there are some questions being raised about the project.
Will Golden Spike return humans to the moon? We can only hope.
Their space tourism endeavor has raised a lot of questions however, and some fear the Moon may become the wild west of the new frontier.
Golden Spike says that space tourists aren't likely to be the primary customers on the flights. Rather, they envision ferrying scientists and other researchers to the moon and back.
The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 forbids countries from claiming land on the moon, but the treaty does not prohibit private agencies and individuals from doing so.
Still, it remains highly unlikely that anyone should fear claim jumpers on the moon just yet. It is likely to still be decades before humans return to our nearest astronomical neighbor, and even then, the few visitors that arrive will have better things to do than quarrel with their fellow astronauts.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Golden Spike Co., moon, claim jumpers, treaty
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?