Malibu solves whale of a problem - Los Angeles
Homeowner's association cuts Gordian knot with tug boat.
Whales are beautiful creatures, or at least that's what Malibu residents learned last week when a 40-foot fin whale washed up on their beach. Of course, seeing such a sight was also sad, as the whale had perished.
The corpse and its attendant stench was decidedly out of place for the homes and playgrounds of so many well-to-do residents and vacationers.
All agreed the corpse had to be removed, but just how to dispose of the corpse became an issue. The city looked to the county and the county looked to the state. Eventually it was unclear just who was responsible and how it would be done.
Discussion of a tug boat, burial, cutting the beast into pieces and even burning the corpse came up.
However, nobody could come to a mutually agreeable solution.
Mother Nature, however, had her own solution, even if it is a bit slow by modern standards. Seagulls and other animals went to work on the carcass, which after a few days no longer looked much like a whale.
Finally, over the weekend, a local homeowners association came to the rescue. The association ignored the ruling by the government that towing the carcass out to sea would be unfeasible, and did just that.
Hiring a tug boat, the whale was towed about 20 miles offshore and left to sink to the bottom of the ocean.
Authorities say that should be the last of it, and residents are grateful they can open their windows to the fresh air, one again.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?