Malibu solves whale of a problem - Los Angeles
Homeowner's association cuts Gordian knot with tug boat.
Whales are beautiful creatures, or at least that's what Malibu residents learned last week when a 40-foot fin whale washed up on their beach. Of course, seeing such a sight was also sad, as the whale had perished.
The corpse and its attendant stench was decidedly out of place for the homes and playgrounds of so many well-to-do residents and vacationers.
All agreed the corpse had to be removed, but just how to dispose of the corpse became an issue. The city looked to the county and the county looked to the state. Eventually it was unclear just who was responsible and how it would be done.
Discussion of a tug boat, burial, cutting the beast into pieces and even burning the corpse came up.
However, nobody could come to a mutually agreeable solution.
Mother Nature, however, had her own solution, even if it is a bit slow by modern standards. Seagulls and other animals went to work on the carcass, which after a few days no longer looked much like a whale.
Finally, over the weekend, a local homeowners association came to the rescue. The association ignored the ruling by the government that towing the carcass out to sea would be unfeasible, and did just that.
Hiring a tug boat, the whale was towed about 20 miles offshore and left to sink to the bottom of the ocean.
Authorities say that should be the last of it, and residents are grateful they can open their windows to the fresh air, one again.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Brothers in Arms: St Benedict and St Francis.
- Polish Bishops and Pope Francis Expose the Gender Identity Movement
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?