Fines from broken parking meters bring millions to city - Los Angeles
City will continue to enforce fines at broken meters.
Motorists be warned, there will be no free parking in LA, at least not a busted parking meters. The City Council voted Wednesday to enforce traffic fines for people who park at broken meters.
New parking meters allow drivers to pay with their credit cards causing people without change to break them less.
The vote is in opposition to state law, which permits parking at broken meters. Under that law, motorists may park at a broken meter for the maximum time allowed by the meter.
City officials fear that allowing free parking at broken meters would encourage vandalism, as a few unscrupulous drivers deliberately break meters to get free parking. They added that vandalism is down significantly now that parking at broken meters result in tickets.
However, meters with wireless connectivity are now being installed across the city. Those meters tell operators when they malfunction, allowing rapid repair. Officials say most meters are fixed within a few hours of malfunctioning.
Officials also say they will put stickers on meters that notify the public if they will be ticketed for parking at broken meters.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?