Twins celebrate 100 year birthday together - Philadelphia
Pair survived Nazis and found new lives in America.
Twins, born on December 3, 1912, celebrated their 100th birthday together today in Philadelphia. What makes their story remarkable, aside from the fact they are twins, is the difficulty the faced in youth.
They left their families behind and fled in different directions. Ruth went to England where she became a domestic servant and suffered through the Blitz, and Alfred headed East into Poland. They lost their father, a World War I veteran, to the holocaust.
As the Nazis moved east, Alfred moved before them, studying different languages and occupations. His primary occupation was that of a pharmacist. Alfred continued moving east until he found himself in China.
After the war, both Alfred and Ruth moved to Philadelphia and married. Alfred married an Auschwitz survivor. Ruth married an Austrian Jew she met in London.
Ruth found work as a secretary in at St. Paul the Apostle Church but remained Jewish. Alfred resumed his career as a pharmacist.
The pair have achieved a rare milestone for any individual, furthermore twins. Celebrating their 100 year birthdays in a nursing home in Philadelphia, four generations of the family were on hand.
According to Rubin, Alfred held his great-grandson in his arms saying to the 5-month-old boy, "Remember me."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?