Twins celebrate 100 year birthday together - Philadelphia
Pair survived Nazis and found new lives in America.
Twins, born on December 3, 1912, celebrated their 100th birthday together today in Philadelphia. What makes their story remarkable, aside from the fact they are twins, is the difficulty the faced in youth.
They left their families behind and fled in different directions. Ruth went to England where she became a domestic servant and suffered through the Blitz, and Alfred headed East into Poland. They lost their father, a World War I veteran, to the holocaust.
As the Nazis moved east, Alfred moved before them, studying different languages and occupations. His primary occupation was that of a pharmacist. Alfred continued moving east until he found himself in China.
After the war, both Alfred and Ruth moved to Philadelphia and married. Alfred married an Auschwitz survivor. Ruth married an Austrian Jew she met in London.
Ruth found work as a secretary in at St. Paul the Apostle Church but remained Jewish. Alfred resumed his career as a pharmacist.
The pair have achieved a rare milestone for any individual, furthermore twins. Celebrating their 100 year birthdays in a nursing home in Philadelphia, four generations of the family were on hand.
According to Rubin, Alfred held his great-grandson in his arms saying to the 5-month-old boy, "Remember me."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- WAS IT A LIE? Family says they DID tip gay server, despite Internet story
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?