DAILY SUNSHINE: Secret Santa hands out $100,000 to storm victims
Anonymous donor hopes to set an example for others.
A Secret Santa made the rounds of New York last week handing out crisp, new $100 bills to victims of Superstorm Sandy. Many of the lucky recipients were residents on Staten Island who lost almost everything.
Many people had lost everything and were still living with friends and family.
The holiday season is especially hard on area residents who were heavily impacted by Superstorm Sandy. Many can barely provide for themselves and have no shelter of their own. The money allows some victims who are hungry to enjoy a hot meal and perhaps buy gifts for their children.
The benefactor told reporters that he planned to distribute some $100,000 in hundred dollar bills to storm victims. He explained that money wasn't the point however, but rather setting an example in a time of need.
"It\'s about the random acts of kindness. I\'m just setting an example, and if 10 percent of the people who see me emulate what I\'m doing, anybody can be a Secret Santa!\" he said.
Many people were incredulous at first, worried they might be victims of a prank or the money might be fake, but they were assured, the gift was real.
For a thousand people in New York and New Jersey, the holiday season just got a tiny bit brighter thanks to one Secret Santa.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?