Catholicism Pure and Simple: Fr Dwight Longenecker Discusses with Catholic Online the Challenges of the New Evangelization
parts of the text for an American readership. The result is Catholicism Pure and Simple.
CO: Who is this book for?
DL: I would love this book to become a basic textbook for confirmation and RCIA classes. The book begins with arguments for God and goes on to explain his plan of redemption for the world. It explains the basic Catholic doctrines then goes on to discuss the church, sacraments and the life of prayer and service.
CO: You said confirmation classes. Is this really simple enough for eighth graders? If so, isn't it too simple for adults?
DL: I've had both groups try the book and say that it works just fine. This is assuming that the confirmation candidates are using the book as part of classroom discussions. But the book is not just an RCIA textbook. It also serves as a good refresher course in the Catholic faith for all those lapsed Catholics I spoke about who need to return to the faith.
CO: Do you think people are converted just through books and videos and blogs and all these words you produce?
DL: The words are only part of the picture, and probably only a minor part. People are really convinced about the Catholic faith when they see it in action. In other words, if you want people to be converted look like you're converted yourself! Live the faith with joy and trust and open hearted service to others. That's what draws people to Christ--by them seeing Christ alive in us.
CO: You're clearly very busy! What do you do for relaxation?
DL: I have a motorcycle, and I live in near the mountains of North Carolina, so on a beautiful day in the Fall you'll find me tooling along the mountain roads soaking up the beauty of God's creation. I also just like to find time to spend with my family and friends.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Standing on My Head, Fr Dwight Longenecker, Catholicism Pure and Simple, catechetics, new evangelization, conversion, testimony,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- The Storm. The Whirlwind. The Earthquake: Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is Guilty, America is Complicit
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?