PETA sues eatery for serving banned delicacy - Los Angeles
Subtle difference, eatery claims delicacy is served, but not sold.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is suing a Hermosa Beach eatery for serving a banned delicacy. The restaurant attempted to skirt the law by changing the name of the offering, according to PETA.
However, Hot's Kitchen in Hermosa Beach is still serving foie gras according to PETA. The restaurant simply changed the name of the meal from "Foie Gras Burger" to "THE Burger" and still serves the foie gras on the side.
This has PETA and other animal advocates upset.
Hot's Kitchen does not dispute that they sell the delicacy, but contends that their foie gras is humanely produced. The parent company of Hot's Kitchen, Hot's Restaurant Group, is suing along with foie gras producers to get an injunction against the law, arguing that it is too vague.
Last July a manager for the restaurant said the law does not prohibit the serving of the delicacy, only the selling of it. Since it is served on the side, rather than sold, they claim the practice is legal.
Naturally, this is not what the law intends, however it may promote the claim that the law itself is too vague to enforce.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- To Bill O'Reilly - Phil Robertson Was Quoting St Paul! Ignorance of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ
- Fr. Frank Pavone: We Will Obey God Rather Than Men. We Will Not Obey the HHS Mandate
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians
- Portraits of Lee and Jackson taken down at college, high school renamed
- The unrelenting 'Gay Mafia' has bullied A&E into suspending 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?