How this 'Traveling Hero' saved a life - Orlando
Dante saved his caretaker from a deadly snakebite.
Dante the Labrador used his bad luck to save a life. Dante has the misfortune to be left behind with a caretaker when his owner, a navy officer, was deployed to Spain with his wife. The decision, it turns out, was a fortunate one for the Navy vet's mother-in-law.
Dante saved his caretaker from a cottonmouth snakebite.
While walking home, Mastriano and Dante happened across a cottonmouth snake. The deadly snake was poised to strike Mastriano when Dante intervened, placing himself in front of the snake just as it struck.
Dante was bitten on both his face and leg as he dragged the snake away from Mastriano.
Mastriano then rushed Dante to a local veterinary clinic where he was treated with antivenin. Dante's face swelled by about 17 inches, but rapid veterinary care saved his life.
"I thought he looked like a little baby hippopotamus," Mastriano said.
Dante was subsequently treated in a hyperbaric oxygen therapy unit to speed his healing. The treatments lasted a week, and the entire healing process took two months.
For his reward, the hero dog has been reunited with his owners in Spain. Loaded into a crate marked "Traveling Hero" Dante can now relax with his owners, in a place where there are no venomous snakes for this lovable hero to fight.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Dante, Labrador, cottonmouth, snake, bite
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?