How this 'Traveling Hero' saved a life - Orlando
Dante saved his caretaker from a deadly snakebite.
Dante the Labrador used his bad luck to save a life. Dante has the misfortune to be left behind with a caretaker when his owner, a navy officer, was deployed to Spain with his wife. The decision, it turns out, was a fortunate one for the Navy vet's mother-in-law.
While walking home, Mastriano and Dante happened across a cottonmouth snake. The deadly snake was poised to strike Mastriano when Dante intervened, placing himself in front of the snake just as it struck.
Dante was bitten on both his face and leg as he dragged the snake away from Mastriano.
Mastriano then rushed Dante to a local veterinary clinic where he was treated with antivenin. Dante's face swelled by about 17 inches, but rapid veterinary care saved his life.
"I thought he looked like a little baby hippopotamus," Mastriano said.
Dante was subsequently treated in a hyperbaric oxygen therapy unit to speed his healing. The treatments lasted a week, and the entire healing process took two months.
For his reward, the hero dog has been reunited with his owners in Spain. Loaded into a crate marked "Traveling Hero" Dante can now relax with his owners, in a place where there are no venomous snakes for this lovable hero to fight.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?