Schuller family paid fraction of claims, sent packing - Los Angeles
Family receives just 10 percent of what they asked from judge.
Robert Schuller is done. The charismatic, 86-year-old minister will receive $700,000 of the $5 million plus he asked for in court and be on his way following Monday's court ruling. The ruling is the final chapter in Rev. Schuller's career that once saw him as the nation's leading televangelist.
However, the bankruptcy court judge was unpersuaded by most of the Schuller family claims and awarded them only $700,000. The ruling clears the way for the Crystal Cathedral to honor outstanding obligations to creditors.
The Crystal Cathedral has been in bankruptcy for several years, going so far as to sell the iconic Crystal Cathedral itself to the Catholic Church. The ministry will relocate to a much smaller venue next year.
Schuller rose to prominence in the 1980's as one of the leading national televangelists, hosting the "Hour of Power" program. Millions watched the program on television.
However, Schuller came under criticism for employing family members and paying them generous salaries. The family is accused of taking millions from the ministry in past years.
The ruling should close out what has been a painful episode in the history of the Cathedral and pave the way for rebuilding - and paying off of creditors.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?