Schuller family paid fraction of claims, sent packing - Los Angeles
Family receives just 10 percent of what they asked from judge.
Robert Schuller is done. The charismatic, 86-year-old minister will receive $700,000 of the $5 million plus he asked for in court and be on his way following Monday's court ruling. The ruling is the final chapter in Rev. Schuller's career that once saw him as the nation's leading televangelist.
However, the bankruptcy court judge was unpersuaded by most of the Schuller family claims and awarded them only $700,000. The ruling clears the way for the Crystal Cathedral to honor outstanding obligations to creditors.
The Crystal Cathedral has been in bankruptcy for several years, going so far as to sell the iconic Crystal Cathedral itself to the Catholic Church. The ministry will relocate to a much smaller venue next year.
Schuller rose to prominence in the 1980's as one of the leading national televangelists, hosting the "Hour of Power" program. Millions watched the program on television.
However, Schuller came under criticism for employing family members and paying them generous salaries. The family is accused of taking millions from the ministry in past years.
The ruling should close out what has been a painful episode in the history of the Cathedral and pave the way for rebuilding - and paying off of creditors.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Frank Pavone: We Will Obey God Rather Than Men. We Will Not Obey the HHS Mandate
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians
- Portraits of Lee and Jackson taken down at college, high school renamed
- The unrelenting 'Gay Mafia' has bullied A&E into suspending 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Abortion mill monster Kermit Gosnell gets 30 years
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?