Obama pardons turkey after Facebook poll
President eventually pardoned both turkeys.
President Obama pardoned and saved not one, but two turkeys from the dinner table this year. He also left the weighty executive decision up to a Facebook poll.
Did one turkey pardon another? Obama pardoned two turkeys this Thanksgiving.
Cobbler emerged victorious, gathering 2,513 "likes" on Facebook to Gobbler's 2,230. That was enough to send Cobbler to the sanctuary and Gobbler to the kitchen.
However, President Obama wasn't done with the spectacle.
After pardoning Cobbler and sending the turkey on its way to the animal sanctuary at Mt. Vernon, next to the historic home of George Washington, President Obama then pardoned Gobbler too.
Obama explained that he believed in second chances as he pardoned Gobbler.
Now two birds, not one, will live the rest of their natural lives in the sanctuary.
The President then continued in his Thanksgiving address to reflect on the victims of Hurricane [Superstorm] Sandy and those serving in the military that could not be with their families this year.
He also mentioned that two additional turkeys, would not be pardoned, but would instead be sent to a local food bank for delivery to needy families.
Despite the very public presidential pardons, the President will still be enjoying some turkey on Thursday.
According to historians, the first presidential pardon for a turkey came from Abraham Lincoln, who pardoned a Christmas turkey at the request of his son who felt sorry for the animal, which he had made into a pet. Lincoln had a reputation for spoiling his children. The president even took the time to write out an official pardon for the animal.
Astoundingly, the turkey, named Jack, was then given full run of the White House thanks to the doting president.
The next official pardon came from President Kennedy who let a 55-pound turkey fattened just for the purpose, go free saying "We'll just let this one grow."
This fact is contrary to popular belief that President Truman was the first to pardon a turkey. There is no historical documentation to substantiate the claim, which has become a popular urban legend.
Presidents Clinton and Bush W, also pardoned their turkeys. There is no requirement, of course, that the presidents do so, however it has become an occasion for them to obtain some publicity and to extend well wishes to the American people on the occasion of Thanksgiving.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: President, Obama, turkey, pardon, Facebook
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- The Storm. The Whirlwind. The Earthquake: Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is Guilty, America is Complicit
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?