U.S. rushes warships to Israel
Ships on stand-by to evacuate Americans.
The U.S. has sent warships to stand by off the coast of Israel, should Americans need to evacuate the region. Despite this move, officials say there is only a small chance they will be needed for an evacuation.
Officials stress they think the possibility is remote, however they describe the move as "due diligence."
They also stressed the ships were not intended for any combat role and that the U.S. would not enter the hostilities in any capacity.
The ships sent to Israel are the USS Iwo Jima, the USS New York, and the USS Gunston Hall. The ships were outside of the Mediterranean last week, but as hostilities began between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza strip, an order was given to send the ships back toward Israel.
This was bad news for the 2,500 sailors and families involved, who had previously planned to return just after Thanksgiving. Now their plans are on hold as the conflict resolves itself.
The U.S. Navy maintains a strategic presence in the Mediterranean and keeps ships ready in the event of crisis. For several months, a small U.S. fleet has taken up station off the coast of Israel to help protect the country from a possible ballistic missile attack from Iran.
Truce negotiations are under way and both sides are being pressured to halt the conflict. The current spat began when Israel targeted and killed the overall military commander for Hamas, prompting retaliation. Hamas has since fired hundreds of rockets into Israel, and Israel has responded with a sweeping series of airstrikes designed to neutralize Hamas rocket capability.
Scores of civilians, particularly in Gaza, have been killed by the strikes.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?