Hollywood's 1954 Thanksgiving Prayer: We Thank Thee for the Privilege of Living as Free Men
As the family sits around the kitchen table, the father leads the family in prayer
We thank thee for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy
WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.
In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.
As the family sits around the kitchen table, the father leads the family in prayer:
"Oh Lord, we give thee thanks from the depths of our humble hearts for all the blessings thou has seen fit to bestow upon us. We thank thee for the food, which graces our table, the roof, which covers our head.
"We thank thee for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose.
"We thank thee for making us a family, for giving us sincerity and understanding.
"But most of all, dear Lord, we thank thee for giving us the greatest gift a family may know--the gift of love for one another. Amen."
Robert Young (Jim), Jane Wyatt (Margaret), Billy Gray (Bud), Lauren Chapin (Kathy) and Elinor Donahue (Betty) starred in "Father Knows Best," which aired on NBC from 1954 to 1960.
CNSNews.com is a division of the Media Research Center, a not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) organization. Like National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting System, CNSNews.com is able to provide its services and information to the public at no cost, thanks to the generous support of our thousands of donors and their tax-deductible contributions.This article is reprinted with permission.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?