Wiener doesn't want to see any more
San Francisco to ban public nudity.
San Francisco is cleaning up its act - sort of. A new push for public decency has the city mulling a ban on public nudity, with exceptions of course.
Nude protestors object to the approaching ban, in the nude of course.
The proposed ordinance would make it illegal for any person over the age of five to "expose his or her genitals, perineum or anal region" in public locations. Exceptions would be allowed for special events.
The need for the ban is clear since state decency laws and public mores haven't done anything to stem the tide of nudists, particularly men, strolling down the streets of San Francisco's Castro district.
The Castro district is the hub of the city's homosexual community.
However, that community's very own district supervisor, Scott Wiener, is himself promoting the ban saying "I think it's a caricature of what San Francisco is about."
Some of the men walk about in public with body modifications and sexual enhancement devices attached to their bodies. They have been witnessed not only by residents, but also by tourists and children.
Some think the local nudist movement is being hijacked by exhibitionists. McCray Winpsett, 37, told the Huffington Post, that he understands residents may not like seeing the nudity in public, but the city should not ban it because public nudity is a tradition "that keeps San Francisco weird."
"A few lewd exhibitionists are really ruining it for the rest of us," he said. "It's my time to come out now to present myself in a light and show what true nudity is all about so people can separate the difference between what a nudist is and an exhibitionist is," Winpsett told the Huffington Post.
Several nudists have protested in naked in front of city hall and more protests are planned.
The vote will take place Tuesday.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: San Francisco, Weiner, nudity, public, decency
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?