Obama says Romney ideas could help middle-class
President asks to meet and discuss ideas with Romney.
The election had hardly faded from the news, but Obama wants to pick Romney's brain for ideas on how to help the middle-class. In a move that baffles many, Obama said in a speech he'd like to sit down and talk to Romney.
Not good enough for the White House, but good enough for plans to save the middle class?
"He presented some ideas during the course of the campaign that I actually agree with. And so it'd be interesting to talk to him about something like that." Obama added, "There may be ideas that he has with respect to jobs and growth that can help middle-class families that I want to hear."
Meanwhile, Romney advisers saw this as a concession that Romney may have had better ideas than the president. Romney made a conference call to donors and expressed concern that Obama made promises and "gifts" to the poor and minorities. "Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars."
Obama targeted the poor to help sway him into office when it became clear he was losing the middle-class vote.
Both sides staged a very strong and at times, personal campaign which may have left some lingering ill will behind. However, Obama made clear he was interested in Romney's ideas.
"'m not either prejudging what he's interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I've got some specific assignment.' Obama said. "But what I want to do is to is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together."
In all, it's an interesting remark from a reelected president that the other guys may have had better ideas. Romney has not commented on if or when he wills it down with Obama to share those ideas.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obama, Romney, ideas, speech, gifts
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?