General Petraeus' mistress admits to seizing classified military documents
Embarrassing emails come to light sent between Paula Broadwell and General John Kelly
Be careful what you send in an email. You never know who will dig it up to show others - this is a lesson heard learned from General Petraeus' biographer and mistress, Paula Broadwell. In addition to catty, malicious emails sent to Jill Kelly sent by Broadwell to General John Allen, she's admitted to taking substantial amounts of classified military documents. Recent photos show the 40-year-old Broadwell, mother of two knocking back wine in her brother's Washington, D.C. home
Recent photos show the obviously stressed 40-year-old Paula Broadwell, mother of two knocking back wine in her brother's Washington, D.C. home
Broadwell also sent emails using the pseudonym "KelleyPatrol" warning General Allen about Kelley the "seductress" - sources say that these emails were lewd and solicitous, in the manner of "phone sex."
General Allen, who is married who two daughters, denies any wrongdoing. Officials claim his emails to Kelley, who is also married with children, were simply friendly and not "inappropriate" or flirtatious.
However, sources have told Fox News that the emails between the pair were so explicit that they could be compared to "the equivalent of phone sex over email."
Broadwell's admission to taking classified military documents from government buildings and stashing them in her home have since emerged. This has raised more concerns over whether the affair led to security breaches. An FBI search of Broadwell's home in Charlotte, North Carolina led agents to cart away boxes and computers.
Broadwell told FBI agents investigating the affair that she had taken "a significant number of military documents," a source told ABC.
The U.S. government demanded she return the papers and organized the visit. Prosecutors are now deciding whether to charge her with a crime as she has potentially violated federal law. Broadwell is cooperating with the investigation.
She has since taken refuge at a house owned by her brother, Stephen Kranz, in the Petworth suburb of Washington D.C.
Another official says that Defense Secretary Leon Panetta would not have referred this matter to an internal investigator without being sure that he had to. The issue is so significant it would impact Allen's family and the U.S. war effort.
"This was a serious enough matter that those who examined the emails thought it should be referred to the secretary of defense, and the secretary made the decision to turn it over to the inspector general," the official said to Fox News.
"He would not have thrust this into the limelight without good cause."
Investigators are reviewing 20,000 to 30,000 pages of emails between Kelley and Allen which date from between 2010 to 2012.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?