Decide for yourself - timeline of terror attack on Benghazi
Where was Obama during all this?
A detailed timeline of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi on September 11, 2012, has been provided by the CIA to Washington Post writer, David Ignatius. The timeline shows that the deaths of three American security agents occurred long after the White House was informed of the attacks and chose to do nothing.
11:11 p.m.: local time, Benghazi: Told that an attack was occurring at the Ambassador's compound, a predator drone arrives after being diverted from 90 miles away. The drone is unarmed, but provides detailed imagery of what is happening on the ground.
11:15 p.m.: State Department officials evacuate the compound. CIA officers evacuate fifteen minutes later and retreat to a nearby annex to await help. They arrive at 11:36.
11:56 p.m.: The CIA annex comes under fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades. The attack lasts over an hour, but no casualties are reported. There is no armed response of any kind from the security detail inside. The attackers are deterred more by their lack of success than by American defenses.
1:01 a.m.: Al-Qaeda sponsored attackers halt their attempts to kill the Americans inside the CIA annex. The military admits they believe the assault is over.
1:15 a.m.: Another CIA team, rushed from Tripoli, arrives in Benghazi. The team is comprised of four security officers, two military personnel, and a CIA Case Officer. The team spends several hours negotiating with Libyan officials over permission to depart the airport and over what to do next as well as arranging transportation.
4:30 a.m.: Scrapping a plan to drive to the Benghazi hospital where Ambassador Stevens and a communications officer are already dead, the team elects to reinforce the besieged CIA annex. The hospital where Ambassador Stevens and another American lay is surrounded by al-Qaeda fighters.
5:04 a.m.: In the pre-dawn darkness, the CIA reinforcements arrive at the annex. One of the security offices, Glen Doherty, joins Tyrone Woods on the roof of the compound. Both men occupy firing positions and are equipped with machine guns but have no authorization to return fire, should the attackers renew their assault.
5:15 a.m.: With the first sign of dawn approaching in the east, the al-Qaeda linked attackers make another assault. Using lasers to warn away civilians and potential attackers, Doherty and Woods are helpless to return fire as five mortars are fired at them. Three shells strike their position, killing them.
The military says the mortars were never spotted by either the team on the roof or the predator drone.
5:26 a.m.: With daylight coming, the attackers flee into the darkness. The attack is over, two Americans are dead and two more wounded.
6:00 a.m.: Libyan security forces arrive en masse to escort the Americans to the airport where they are promptly flown back to the United States along with the bodies of their dead.
The timeline of the attack lasts seven hours.
President Obama, informed in writing of the attack in its first stage, never gives a specific order to stop the attacks on the compound, and no permission to return fire is granted.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?