Obama played while Banghazi burned
Despite advanced defense capability no order came to protect Libya staff.
New details about the September 11 attacks on a CIA outpost in Benghazi are coming to light. According the US military, the outpost was armed and enjoyed the protection of surveillance drones and laser-equipped machine guns. However, not a single shot was fired in self-defense.
AC-130 gunship can deliver accurate fire against terrorists with laser guidance from the ground. But they need orders first...
The compound was also equipped with target designating lasers which can spot targets on the ground for air support overhead.
Not only was the compound protected with these weapons, which could be used to warn away attackers, and to stop them as a last resort, but the CIA compound had not one, but two predator drones circling overhead, watching the scene below unfold.
Despite this presence, no help was sent, and no action was taken. The CIA operatives and their security detail inside simply waited for death to come, which eventually arrived when multiple mortar shells landed on the roof of the compound.
US military officials explained in a press conference that the predator drones were only sent for surveillance and were unarmed. They added that US drones are not permitted to fly armed missions over Libyan cities, a prohibition imposed by the Libyan government.
Despite the lack of armed drones and air support, the CIA installation was armed. Yet, without permission to return fire, the men inside were simply targets for the al Qaeda terrorists that spent several hours trying to kill them.
While the al Qaeda attack was largely ineffective, as it took hours for them to succeed in killing Americans there, the US response was worse as no return fire was ever offered, not even as a warning.
Which raises the question, why didn't someone do something?
The answer of course, is in the White House. President Obama, too timid to offend his fragile alliances with Libya and other Middle-Eastern states, simply refused to give permission to protect the Americans who were doing his work in Libya.
Politics trumped American lives.
The absolute disregard for American safety overseas is alarming. The failure hints at a president who is incapable of being decisive and strong during moments of crisis. Let's hope there are no more moments of crisis during his administration.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Libya, ambassador, marines, Benghazi, terrorist, Al Qaeda, lasers
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?