Police warn of marijuana laced candy
Inspect the candy, you can never be too safe!
It sounds like an urban legend, as all tainted candy stories are, but public safety officials in LA are warning parents to watch out for marijuana-laced candy.
The only known incident of laced candy occurred in 1974 when a Texas father murdered his own child with cyanide-laced Pixie Stixs. Likewise, fears about kidnappings on Halloween are also unfounded since there has never been an instance of a child being kidnapped or harmed by strangers on Halloween during the course of trick-or-treating.
Despite this dose of reality, there are some very real dangers confronting children this holiday, as there are every year. Halloween is the third busiest night of the year for pedestrian accidents, and drunk drivers often take to the streets after dark.
Locally, the LAPD warns they will be out in force, looking to protect kids and to arrest anyone driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Parents are advised to accompany their children throughout their trick-or-treating walk, and they should carry flashlights. Costumes that can obstruct vision should be avoided so that children and adults can see any oncoming traffic.
Drivers are warned to be extra vigilant during the evening as children take to the streets around dusk and just after dark, and adults may be outside later.
Parents will still find it reasonable and prudent to inspect children's candy before allowing them to eat it. After all, too many KitKats, Baby Ruths, and Special Darks are bad for their teeth...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?