Police warn of marijuana laced candy
Inspect the candy, you can never be too safe!
It sounds like an urban legend, as all tainted candy stories are, but public safety officials in LA are warning parents to watch out for marijuana-laced candy.
The only known incident of laced candy occurred in 1974 when a Texas father murdered his own child with cyanide-laced Pixie Stixs. Likewise, fears about kidnappings on Halloween are also unfounded since there has never been an instance of a child being kidnapped or harmed by strangers on Halloween during the course of trick-or-treating.
Despite this dose of reality, there are some very real dangers confronting children this holiday, as there are every year. Halloween is the third busiest night of the year for pedestrian accidents, and drunk drivers often take to the streets after dark.
Locally, the LAPD warns they will be out in force, looking to protect kids and to arrest anyone driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Parents are advised to accompany their children throughout their trick-or-treating walk, and they should carry flashlights. Costumes that can obstruct vision should be avoided so that children and adults can see any oncoming traffic.
Drivers are warned to be extra vigilant during the evening as children take to the streets around dusk and just after dark, and adults may be outside later.
Parents will still find it reasonable and prudent to inspect children's candy before allowing them to eat it. After all, too many KitKats, Baby Ruths, and Special Darks are bad for their teeth...
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?