Senator John McCain says that Obama may be covering up in Benghazi attack
Republican presidential nominee of 2008 says it's either a cover-up of the worst kind of incompetence
Senator John McCain says that the Obama administration might be conducting a "massive cover-up" in the deadly terror attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi September 11 that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
"We now know there was no demonstration. There was no mob," Senator John McCain declared. "So for literally days and days, they told the American people something that had no basis in fact whatsoever."
CBS News had obtained State Department emails last week that provided a timeline of the events that took place at the Benghazi compound on Sept. 11.
The first email sent from the State Department Operations Center to such agencies as the White House Situation Room, the FBI and the office of the Director of National Intelligence, among others, at 4:05 p.m. on Sept. 11 stated that the Benghazi compound was under attack.
"The Regional Security Officer reports the diplomatic mission is under attack. Embassy Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well. Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four COM personnel are in the compound safe haven."
The second email, which came at 4:54 p.m., said that firing at the Consulate "has stopped and the compound has been cleared." A response team was reportedly on site to locate the American personnel.
The third and final email that came at 6:07 p.m. states that terror group Ansar al-Sharia claimed responsibility for the attack. "Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli."
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has dismissed the criticism of the handling of the attack as little more than "Monday morning quarterbacking."
Senator McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee says that the president has been incompetent with the way it's handled the Benghazi attack.
"I don't know if it's either a cover-up or the worst kind of incompetence, which doesn't qualify the president as commander in chief," McCain said.
The Republican senator was primarily talking about statements the administration made early after the attack where U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice said the Consulate attack was a "spontaneous" event caused by the anti-Mohammed film that caused massive protests across the Middle East.
Witnesses said that some 150 gunmen took part in the assault on the Benghazi compound.
"We now know there was no demonstration. There was no mob," McCain declared. "So for literally days and days, they told the American people something that had no basis in fact whatsoever."
McCain also added that this might cost Obama the election.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?