NEW YORK TERROR ATTACK FOILED
FBI arrests jihadi terrorist in elaborate sting.
An Islamic jihad terrorist has been arrested for plotting to destroy the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis was connected to the FBI and had intentions of detonating a 1,000 pound bomb.
Nafis, the face of a terrorist.
The FBI monitored Nafis after he tried to recruit an undercover FBI agent for a terror attacks on the US. It is unknown if the recruited individual was merely a known informant or if he was in fact an employee of the FBI.
Nafis also boasted of having Al Qaeda connections.
The FBI said that Nafis had some difficulty choosing his initial target, trying to decide between killing a high US official, attacking the New York Stock Exchange, and finally settling on the Federal Reserve Bank.
Two FBI officials then worked with Nafis to provide him with the materials he needed, with the exception of the fact that none of the materials were in working order, so the public was never in any danger.
Nafis packed the material into a van and attached a detonator to it. He then travelled to a Manhattan hotel with an undercover FBI agent, boasting of the importance of his mission. While at the hotel, he recorded what he thought to be his final statements.
Nafis had also prepared a written statement saying he wanted to "destroy America" and claim credit for the bombing for Al Qaeda. Nafis felt the best way to accomplish his mission was to attack the US economy, hence the decision to strike the Reserve Bank.
According to officials, one chilling part of his written statement included a quote from Osama bin Laden to justify the killing of women and children. It is certain his attack would have included civilian casualties because of the size of his intended explosion.
Once Nafis was ready, he parked the van next to the Reserve Bank and attempted to detonate his bomb via cell phone. The bomb failed because it was incapable of working.
He was arrested soon afterwards.
Nafis' attempt is the 15th such attempt at attacking New York City. None of the attempts have been successful. Public officials are warning that despite the strong record, locals should not become complacent about stopping terror in their city. In fact, it has often been the vigilance of the locals that has prevented terrorists from staging a successful attack since they struck from the skies 11 years ago.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Nafis, terrorist, New York, al qaeda, attack, Reserve Bank
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?