'Mad' Islamic Terrorist now eats his food through a straw
Abu Hamza had hooks for hands, but these have been taken away.
A terrorist who uses hooks for hands will not have them returned, instead US prison officials will provide him with prosthetic hands as he awaits trial on terror charges. Abu Hamza, a known Al Qaeda operative, allegedly attempted to open a terrorist training camp in Oregon and helped to coordinate the kidnapping of tourists in Yemen. He is also charged with organizing terror activities in Afghanistan.
Hamza appeared in court yesterday showing only his stumps.
Hamza lost his hands when a Soviet mine exploded n Afghanistan in the 80's. Since then he has used metal hooks in place of his hands. His handicap hasn't prevented him from organizing terror activity however. Hamza was recently extradited to the US from Britian after being detained there for organizing the kidnapping of tourists in Yemen including an Australian and three Britons. Hamza fought the extradition charges to the US for eight years.
While in British jail, he was allowed to keep his hooks and his cell was specially fitted to permit their use. However, in the US, prison officials quickly deemed them a risk and took them away. They are planning to equip Hamza with prosthetic hands that will allow him to perform basic tasks. In the meantime, he is occasionally given his hooks back, according to officials, but for the most part he is not allowed to have them.
Taxpayers are outraged at the expense of the new hands, which reportedly will cost some $19,000 to make. The hands will be specially fitted to Hamza and operated by cables. However, prison officials contend they are doing only what is routine in such cases, adding that the hooks are a security risk and must be taken away.
Meanwhile without hooks or hands, Abu Hamza is being forced to eat through a straw. Prison officials are not going to feed him, so he has no choice but to consume his food, blended.
Abu Hamza may spend several months before he finally faces trial because prosecutors say they have 8,500 documents, four hard drives, and 24 DVDs of evidence against him.
The preliminary trial date is August 26, 2013.
Abu Hamza is one of several people recently extradited from Britain to face terror charges. It is likely that if he is convicted, he will serve the rest of his life in prison.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?