Anti-Life terrorist sentenced, forgiven
Man threatened to kill Fr. Pavone and others.
A self-described "pro-choice terrorist" has been sentenced to almost 4 years in prison for plotting to kill pro-life advocates Fr. Frank Pavone and Princeton University's Robert George. Theodore Shulman threatened to attack and harm the men on his blog in January 2010.
He also made a number of statements of his intent, including a claim that if Scott Roeder, a man who killed the abortion doctor George Tiller, were to be acquitted, then Pavone and George would be killed.
Shulman ran a very militant blog site where he routinely advocated the use of violence to suppress and intimidate prominent members of the right-to-life community.
Fr. Pavone told LifeSiteNews in an interview that he has forgiven Shulman and that he prays for the man every day. He added, "I also renew, with my friend Bill Baird, known as the Father of the Pro-Choice movement, the joint statement we made years ago rejecting hatred and violence in word and deed between those on opposite sides of the abortion issue."
It must be understood that the threat of violence, and violent acts, including murder, are deeply and morally wrong. This is what makes abortion so abhorrent. However, vigilante murder, even in the name of life, is also morally wrong.
The path forward should not be fraught with threats and intimidation, but rather it should be straightened by education, understanding, and love.
Ft. Pavone has set the standard, by publicly forgiving and praying for his tormentor. We should all follow this call and forgive and pray for Shulman, in the hopes that he too can come to a knowledge of the truth concerning the dignity of every human life and the call to compassion while abandoning the way of evil and death.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?