Two dead, 11 hurt in Empire State shooting spree
This is the third mass shooting in the US this summer.
Two are dead, including the perpetrator, following a mass shooting outside the Empire State Building, according to the New York Police Department. At least 9 others were wounded and taken to the hospital in various conditions.
An image posted by a bystander, shows the apparent victim who police say was fatally struck three times.
After shooting his coworker, witnesses say Johnson started to leave the scene, and was followed by a construction worker who alerted officers. Police then attempted to apprehend Johnson, but he shot at them prompting them to return fire, which killed him.
The shooting took place on the sidewalk in front of the iconic building at 9 a.m. just as office workers are tourists were crowding the area. Tourists took pictures of the scene as police asked them to stay back and allow them room to work with first responders.
Many people say they were shaken by the incident, but calm has returned to the area as police managed to block off the area and get the victims to area hospitals.
This is the latest mass shooting in a string of several that have occurred throughout the summer.
UPDATE: Mayor Bloomberg says some of the victims may have been accidentally shot by police.
UPDATE: The reports that 11 were hurt have been revised to 9.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Jeffery johnson, Empire State Building, New York, mass shooting, spree
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?