Cryptic Colorado shooter appears before judge
Bleary-eyed Holmes is not speaking to authorities, claimed to be the Joker.
The suspected gunman who murdered 12 people and wounded at least 58 others at an Aurora Colorado movie theater, faced a judge for the first time today. The accused, James Holmes, has exercised his right to remain silent. Holmes is accused of going on a shooting rampage during a premier of Batman, the Dark Knight Rises.
Holmes did not speak during the proceedings.
Holmes did not speak.
The judge granted a request from prosecutors for more time before officially charging Holmes. Prosecutors say they may seek the death penalty for Holmes after consultations with victim's families.
Meanwhile, police say that Holmes has been uncooperative since his arrest, and is refusing to answer any questions. He is currently being held in on suicide watch, in a county detention facility. Because he is refusing to speak, it could take weeks or months to learn just what prompted the shootings.
On CBS' Face the Nation, Aurora Police Chief, Dan Oates praised his officers for quickly spotting and detaining Holmes. While he was dressed in black tactical gear, such outlandish dress is common at large movie premieres as fans dress in costume. However, officers noticed a gas mask, which prompted them to challenge Holmes. Holmes used tear gas in his attack.
"There was one particular piece of equipment that he had on him that was out of place, and I am so proud of my officers that they spotted that right away and challenged him," Oates told Face the Nation.
Holmes is suspected of perpetrating one of the worst mass shootings in US history. Holmes apparently planned the attack months in advance, buying guns around Denver for the past two months. Police say he has received nearly 50 packages at his apartment in that time.
Police also say his apartment was rigged with booby traps of various sorts, including tripwires, explosives, and various unidentified liquids. A bomb squad spent most of Saturday clearing the apartment while residents were evacuated.
Holmes was a graduate student at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and a member of that school's Ph.D. program. The program is training just 35 students as physicians. Officials are trying to determine if any of his fellow colleagues noticed anything unusual about his behavior. Campus officials are also trying to determine if he used his status as a graduate student to obtain chemicals and materials that he used in the attack.
On Sunday, President Obama visited mourning families and joined in prayers that were echoed across the nation.
Members of Holmes' family say that he has always been shy and reserved, a good student, but humble.
Meanwhile, owners of a Colorado gun range may have had the first clues - they denied him membership after he left a voicemail message that was described as "bizarre." The voicemail may be the first clue in unraveling the mystery of why Holmes chose to carry out a brutal, vicious attack on dozens of innocent people.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: James Holmes, Aurora, Colorado, movie theater, Batman the Dark Knight Rises, shooting
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?