Needles found in sandwiches on Delta Air Line flights
One passenger injured; flights from Amsterdam ordered to discard all sandwiches
An especially unpleasant surprise awaited passengers on Delta Air Line
flights this past week. Sewing needles secreted in sandwiches have been
uncovered on flights from Amsterdam to the United States. At least one
passenger has been injured on account of the hidden needles, and the
airport has ordered that all flights from Amsterdam cease serving the
An especially unpleasant surprise awaited passengers on Delta Air Line flights this past week. Sewing needles secreted in sandwiches have been uncovered on flights from Amsterdam to the United States.
Delta Spokeswoman Kristin Baur says that two of the needles were found by passengers, at which point Delta told all 18 flights from Amsterdam to stop serving the sandwiches.
One passenger on the plane going to Minneapolis was injured by the needle but declined medical treatment upon landing.
Gate Gourmet, which provided the sandwiches to Delta, says the sandwiches originated at the firm\'s facility in Amsterdam.
\"This is a terribly upsetting situation," Gate Gourmet spokeswoman Christina Ulosevich says. \"First and foremost is the safety of the traveling public. There\'s nothing more important to us at all than the safety of the passengers and crews.\"
In response, Delta is now serving sealed prepackaged food on these flights instead of the sandwiches, and no other needles have been found.
The Transportation Security Administration has notified all U.S. airlines with flights from Schiphol to the United States of the findings.
\"TSA continues to closely monitor the review of the incidents as well as the security protocols being conducted by the air carrier and the airport authority,\" spokesman David Castelveter said.
\"Delta requires all its in-flight caterers to adhere to strict criteria in order to offer our customers the very best onboard meals,\" Baur told CNN in a statement. \"The safety and security of our passengers and crew is Delta\'s number one priority.\"
Asked whether Gate Gourmet had taken any actions have been taken against any employee, Ulosevich said, \"We don\'t have any comment. It\'s part of an active investigation.\"
\"We are absolutely cooperating fully with federal and local authorities who are involved, and concurrent with that, we\'ll be conducting our own full-scale investigation.\"
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Delta Air Lines, sewing needles, Amsterdam, food safety, FBI
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- SHOCKING COURTROOM VIDEO: Nevada woman arrested by same Marshall she says sexually assaulted her
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?