Orlando LE - Florida to sue DHS in voter registration debate.
The state of Florida is to sue DHS in voter registration battle.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott will be suing the Department of Homeland Security to move forward with his attempt, which some say to be controversial, to delete the voter-rolls of ineligible voters in his state.
Florida residents that are eligible to vote and that are purged from the voter rolls will have to verify their citizenship to be allowed to vote.
The Department of Justice wanted Florida to stop the deletion of the voter-rolls, stating that it violated the Federal Voting Rights Act and the National Voter Registration Act.
The Scott administration sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder saying they would continue the voter-roll purge, and is currently seeking the DHS database as a portion of that push.
State voter registration rolls are filled up with non-citizens and illegal immigrants who are ineligible to vote, argued Republicans. According to Democrats, the GOP is trying to stop voting rights from groups that usually vote Democratic, and that there are only a few cases of voter fraud.
Now, any Florida resident that is eligible to vote that is purged from the voter rolls will have to verify their citizenship to be allowed to vote.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Frank Pavone: We Will Obey God Rather Than Men. We Will Not Obey the HHS Mandate
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians
- Portraits of Lee and Jackson taken down at college, high school renamed
- The unrelenting 'Gay Mafia' has bullied A&E into suspending 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Abortion mill monster Kermit Gosnell gets 30 years
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?