Orlando LE - Florida to sue DHS in voter registration debate.
The state of Florida is to sue DHS in voter registration battle.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott will be suing the Department of Homeland Security to move forward with his attempt, which some say to be controversial, to delete the voter-rolls of ineligible voters in his state.
Florida residents that are eligible to vote and that are purged from the voter rolls will have to verify their citizenship to be allowed to vote.
The Department of Justice wanted Florida to stop the deletion of the voter-rolls, stating that it violated the Federal Voting Rights Act and the National Voter Registration Act.
The Scott administration sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder saying they would continue the voter-roll purge, and is currently seeking the DHS database as a portion of that push.
State voter registration rolls are filled up with non-citizens and illegal immigrants who are ineligible to vote, argued Republicans. According to Democrats, the GOP is trying to stop voting rights from groups that usually vote Democratic, and that there are only a few cases of voter fraud.
Now, any Florida resident that is eligible to vote that is purged from the voter rolls will have to verify their citizenship to be allowed to vote.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?