Brooklyn LE - City Chancellor Dennis Walcott behind principal's decision on replacing "God Bless the USA" with Justin Beiber song
New York City Chancellor Dennis Walcott is behind a principal's decision on replacing "God Bless America" with Bieber song.
PS 90 Principal Greata Hawkins is not letting the students sing Lee Greenwood's ballad "God Bless the USA" because it's not "age appropriate." The sad thing is, City School's Chancellor Dennis Walcott is behind Hawkins' decision.
Many parents and teachers are angry over Hawkins' decision to replace the ballad "God Bless the USA" with Justin Bieber's song, "Baby."
The lyrics to "God Bless the USA" were considered "inappropriate" for the 5-year-old students. Some of the staff, who are behind the principal's decision, didn't want to "offend the other cultures." Yet, the song on the playlist to replace the ballad for the opening ceremony is teen artist Justin Bieber's song "Baby," which is about teenage romance.
Parents and teachers who are furious over Hawkins' decision made a Facebook page demanding her dismissal.
"If the DOE has any brains they should remove her tomorrow,'' said one angry anonymous staffer in a posting. "We were the victims of 9/11. It hit New York really hard. That song became famous because of that tragedy. Removing that song is horrific. It's opening the wound again."
Hawkins could not be reached for comment.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?