Brooklyn LE - City Chancellor Dennis Walcott behind principal's decision on replacing "God Bless the USA" with Justin Beiber song
New York City Chancellor Dennis Walcott is behind a principal's decision on replacing "God Bless America" with Bieber song.
PS 90 Principal Greata Hawkins is not letting the students sing Lee Greenwood's ballad "God Bless the USA" because it's not "age appropriate." The sad thing is, City School's Chancellor Dennis Walcott is behind Hawkins' decision.
Many parents and teachers are angry over Hawkins' decision to replace the ballad 'God Bless the USA' with Justin Bieber's song, 'Baby.'
The lyrics to "God Bless the USA" were considered "inappropriate" for the 5-year-old students. Some of the staff, who are behind the principal's decision, didn't want to "offend the other cultures." Yet, the song on the playlist to replace the ballad for the opening ceremony is teen artist Justin Bieber's song "Baby," which is about teenage romance.
Parents and teachers who are furious over Hawkins' decision made a Facebook page demanding her dismissal.
"If the DOE has any brains they should remove her tomorrow,'' said one angry anonymous staffer in a posting. "We were the victims of 9/11. It hit New York really hard. That song became famous because of that tragedy. Removing that song is horrific. It's opening the wound again."
Hawkins could not be reached for comment.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: unAmericanism, unpatriotic, ridiculous, anger, debate
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?