Orlando LE - Bond hearing is set for Trayvon Martin killer
A new bond hearing has been set for the Martin murder case.
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, is receiving a new bond hearing later this month after his bail revoked.
Zimmerman lied about his financial status which led Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester to revoke his bail.
Zimmerman and his wife did not tell the court about at least $135,000 that donors, who have remained anonymous, had gave to help Zimmerman's legal defense, and also did not show one of two valid passports that are issued in Zimmerman's name. His lawyers have acknowledged that Zimmerman hurt his credibility by lying about his financial status.
They argued that he acted out of "fear, mistrust, and confusion" after he was branded a "racist murderer" in the Trayvon Martin case, which has fueled debate about United States race relations, guns, and self-defense laws.
Zimmerman, 28, is charged with second-degree murder for shooting Martin, 17. If convicted, Zimmerman will be facing a term of 25 years to life. Although police did not arrest Zimmerman due to him being protected under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, he was arrested on the suspicion that he was an "overzealous watch-guard who wrongly suspected Martin of criminal activity," according to special prosecutor, Angela Corey.
Zimmerman pleaded not guilty and stated that he shot and killed Martin in self-defense after Martin broke his nose and slammed his head multiple times into a sidewalk.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?