Orlando LE - Bond hearing is set for Trayvon Martin killer
A new bond hearing has been set for the Martin murder case.
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, is receiving a new bond hearing later this month after his bail revoked.
Zimmerman lied about his financial status which led Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester to revoke his bail.
Zimmerman and his wife did not tell the court about at least $135,000 that donors, who have remained anonymous, had gave to help Zimmerman's legal defense, and also did not show one of two valid passports that are issued in Zimmerman's name. His lawyers have acknowledged that Zimmerman hurt his credibility by lying about his financial status.
They argued that he acted out of "fear, mistrust, and confusion" after he was branded a "racist murderer" in the Trayvon Martin case, which has fueled debate about United States race relations, guns, and self-defense laws.
Zimmerman, 28, is charged with second-degree murder for shooting Martin, 17. If convicted, Zimmerman will be facing a term of 25 years to life. Although police did not arrest Zimmerman due to him being protected under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, he was arrested on the suspicion that he was an "overzealous watch-guard who wrongly suspected Martin of criminal activity," according to special prosecutor, Angela Corey.
Zimmerman pleaded not guilty and stated that he shot and killed Martin in self-defense after Martin broke his nose and slammed his head multiple times into a sidewalk.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?