Orange County LE - Crystal Cathedral to be renamed
Catholic-owned world famous Crystal Cathedral to be renamed.
The church known world-wide as the Crystal Cathedral has been given a new name by its new owners, which will be announced this upcoming weekend.
'It is our goal to make the new cathedral a gathering place for Catholics and other people of faith.'
"It is our goal to make the new cathedral a gathering place for Catholics and other people of faith. By asking for naming suggestions we begin the process of connecting this wonderful structure and its future to our faith and the larger community," the diocese said in a statement.
Bishop Tod Brown chose the new name, after thousands of suggestions, that is Vatican approved. After the Crystal Cathedral Ministry filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October of 2010, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange County bought the Crystal Cathedral for $57 million. Besides changing the name of the building, the diocese has plans to change the design of the glass cathedral.
Crystal Cathedral Ministries was once one of America's largest and most well-known 'mega-churches,' however the ministry started falling apart after a public family split in 2008. All of its founding members were lost over monetary and leadership arguments, as well the ministry itself filing for bankruptcy in 2010.
President and CEO, John Charles, now directs Crystal Cathedral Ministries with the ministry now paying $100,000 in monthly rent to the Catholic Church. Next year, the ministry will move to St. Callistus Church.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Crystal Cathedral, Catholic, renamed, ministry
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?