San Fernando LE - Students love the popular ballroom dancing program.
San Fernando Valley students have learned more than just dance moves with the popular program.
On Saturday, a ballroom was created out of a Woodland Hills gymnasium as elementary students did the tango, rumba, and the cha-cha-cha.
Kids don't just learn dance moves, but also patience and grace
Roughly 600 students from 15 San Fernando Valley schools took a part in Saturday's competition. The top prize in the fourth grade category went to Anatola Avenue Elementary School in Van Nuys, while Pomelo Drive Elementary School in West Hills took the fifth grade category
According to executive director, Susan Shaffer, kids don't just learn dance moves, but also patience and grace. The Best Foot Forward was founded in 2007 by Gloria and Larry Weinstein, both of whom attended Saturday's competition. The program has become one of the most popular in local schools, according to the number of 'thank you' letters received by the Weinsteins.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: students, children, elementary, dance, ballroom
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?