Orlando LE - State of Florida tells 91-year-old veteran to prove his citizenship in order to vote
Florida tells World War II veteran to prove his citizenship.
A 91-year-old man, who won a Bronze star during World War II, was told by the state of Florida that he must prove his citizenship or he will be removed from voter rolls.
The letter is part of a debatable program whose goal is to get rid of non-citizens from voting records before this year's election. A list was given out with over 2,600 people identified as non-citizens. Officials then compared diver's licenses with voter registration data and discovered that about 182,000 registered voters are eligible to be in the country, but not eligible to vote.
Some, like Internicola, received letters that asked to prove their citizenship. On Tuesday, six Democratic members of Congress asked Gov. Rick Scott to suspend the program, saying that it has too many inaccuracies. Two of the Congress members, Rep. Ted Deutch and Rep. Alcee Hastings, said that Internicola is an example of the "misguided" program.
"It's sloppy, it's a hurried voter purge and it could have major consequences for Florida's election in November,'' Hastings stated.
Internicola was born in Brooklyn and has been a lifelong Democrat and voter. In World War II, he served as an Army medic in the 75th infantry division, and won a Bronze Star for his actions in the Battle of the Bulge. He also was awarded the Legion of Honor for his service in France. To prove his citizenship, he sent in his army discharge papers.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?