Denver LE - Occupy Denver joins with local students to support Quebec
Occupy Denver joins forces with local students in support of Quebec
This Friday, Occupy Denver will be joining with student protest groups Occupy Auraria, Occupy DU, and Political Active Ztudents (PAZ) to rally in support of the over 3-month-long student strike in Quebec over increased college tuition.
Occupy Denver made this following statement on their website:
"The strike has been the result of over 2,500 arrests and draconian emergency laws banning protestors from wearing masks. The strikes have been largely ignored in the US press so as to not inspire us, but it is too late! We are inspired and we are taking to the streets! The students of Mexico are also taking to the streets by the thousands! This Friday, so will the students of Colorado!
Tuition hikes and austerity are already effecting campuses across the US, and it will only get worse as the 1% gradually tries to limit their losses and restrict our gains. We call on all students, all workers and non-workers, all victims of student-debt-slavery to march with us this Friday."
Across the nation, the rising cost of college tuitions has affected students. At the University of Colorado, the Board of Regents passed tuition increases in April, despite a 16% increase in early 2012. In 2007-08, a 19% increase was seen in the tuition rates at the college. Annually, there is an average of around 9% increase in tuition rates.
The march is to begin at 6:30 p.m. on the Capitol steps behind Lincoln Park. It is the first Occupy Denver march since the unauthorized camping ban, passed by Denver City Council earlier in May.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?