Tornado Outbreak in Dallas Area
Situation is developing.
At least two tornadoes have done significant damage in the greater Dallas area. Heavy damage is being reported. No fatalities or injuries have yet been reported. The hazardous weather situation is ongoing.
One tornado threw semi trucks like toys.
Local news services carried live coverage of at least one tornado making its way through the southeast part of the city. The tornado kicked up debris, blew transformers, and tossed cars and trucks.
At least 29,000 people are estimated to be without power.
Schools have moved children into hallways and shelters.
Spotters are reporting tornadoes forming in the Arlington, TX area.
The National Weather Service is predicting that most of the tornadoes will be short-duration events lasting about 20 minutes each. None of the tornadoes are expected to be "long track" events which stretch for great distances.
THIS STORY IS DEVELOPING CHECK FOR UPDATES
UPDATE 3:08 CDT Eastern Texas will remain under Tornado Watch until 8 PM.
UPDATE 3:16 CDT Severe thunderstorm warnings remain in effect. High winds, heavy rain, and hail should be expected throughout the region. Hailstones may be large. Winds and lightning remains a serious threat to life and property. Area residents are advised to remain in shelter or near shelter.
NOAA Radar - Dallas, live updates.
UPDATE 3:33 CDT Cleburne, Arlington and Lancaster appear to be the hardest hit areas.
UPDATE 3:35 CDT Tornado warnings for the Dallas - Ft. Worth areas have been cancelled as of 3 PM CDT.
UPDATE 3:44 CDT Despite very heavy damage in some areas, no injuries or fatalities have yet been reported.
UPDATE 3:51 CDT DFW Airport has cleared terminals and parking garages for reopening. Planes are being checked for hail damage. The FAA is still holding inbound flights from departing to the DFW area.
UPDATE: 4:03 CDT Flights have been diverted to Abilene Regional Airport. Officials expect as many as 600 people may be stranded overnight.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Dallas, tornadoes
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?