Anti-Christian Attacks Continue: More Mindless Hate Mongering in the Media
The Huffington Post went far beyond that. They gave us an example of how the media is often abused these days. It seems that many people in the media have absolutely no regard for reason or truth or decency. This trend reflects intellectual laziness and a lack of discipline and integrity. Of course, all people make mistakes. That is not the problem. The problem is that too many people in the media do not maintain a minimum level of professionalism. This is dangerous.
The Church, in her great wisdom, understands the nature of media and its proper role in society. The Catechism of the Catholic Church reminds us that the media plays an important role in the dissemination of information, the promotion of culture and the formation of people, that is, future citizens. And its role in society is growing, in part, due to modern technology. Consequently, "The information provided by the media is at the service of the common good," and "Society has a right to information based on truth, freedom, justice, and solidarity" (2494 ).
In addition, the Catechism states the following: "By the very nature of their profession, journalists have an obligation to serve the truth and not offend against charity in disseminating information. They should strive to respect, with equal care, the nature of the facts and the limits of critical judgment concerning individuals. They should not stoop to defamation" (2497). "Nothing can justify recourse to disinformation for manipulating public opinion through the media" (2498). "Moral judgment must condemn the plague of totalitarian states which systematically falsify the truth [and] exercise political control of opinion through the media" (2499).
Precisely because of the modern media's growing power, consumers must demand that members of the media maintain a minimum level of professionalism. Consumers can make their demands known by voicing their opinions and by using their power to boycott. Although The Huffington Post and Doyle's hate mongering was directed at Catholics, it concerns everyone. If the media is left in the hands of unscrupulous people, it can be used to misinform, manipulate, divide, and oppress all of us. This is not an acceptable option for a free people or the children of God.
Michael Terheyden was born into a Catholic family, but that is not why he is a Catholic. He is a Catholic because he believes that truth is real, that it is beautiful and good, and that the fullness of truth is in the Catholic Church. However, he knows that God's grace operating throughout his life is the main reason he is a Catholic. He is greatly blessed to share his faith and his life with his beautiful wife, Dorothy. They have four grown children and three grandchildren.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Santorum, Larry Doyle, The Huffington Post, Media, Anti-Catholic, Bigotry, Main Stream Media, Michael Terheyden
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?