Troubling: Will Nov. 8 be the start of the next civil war in the USA?
'It should be' according to extremists.
There's a troubling trend in America, the rise of armed militias and "patriot" groups who are preparing for a revolution - and a violent one at that. According to the Southern Law Poverty Center (SPLC), these groups are gaining memberships as the possibility of Obama's reelection grows greater.
The original system wasn't perfect, excluding as many people as it included, but over time it evolved into the system we have today where all citizens have a right to vote and participate in government. Still, that is not enough for some who believe the system is broken beyond repair and only a potentially violent overthrow of government can restore order and balance.
The SPLC identifies two distinct types of individuals associated with this potentially dangerous trend, patriots and sovereign citizens.
Patriots believe the government is engaged in conspiracy and see the federal government as their primary enemy. Sovereign citizens believe they are not subject to state and federal laws and that they do not have to pay taxes - essentially they see themselves as individual sovereign entities.
Both types are filling the ranks of anti-government militias.
The Constitution codifies the rights of individuals to their personal beliefs, to free association and membership in organizations they wish to join, and the right of people to bear arms, among a host of other rights that permit militias to exist. However, several individuals belonging to these militias have engaged in plots to attack law enforcement and government officials or to engage in acts of domestic terrorism.
It is this fact that has many within the government and private watchdog organizations alarmed.
According to a recent FBI bulletin, since 2000, at least six police officers have lost their lives in violence involving militia members.
The Oklahoma City bombing and the Ruby Ridge massacre, as well as the Branch Davidian Waco incident were also the result of militia and separatist activity.
Most militia members fear that President Obama is leading a government campaign to strip Americans of their rights. But the militias are not simply watching the President. In Washington state, David R. Myrland was sentenced to 40 months in prison for threatening the mayor of Kirkland with arrest. He sent an email stating, "50 or more concerned citizens will enter your home and arrest you. Do not resist, as these Citizens will be heavily armed."
Ed LeStage, 59, and a member of the 63rd Battalion of Lightfoot Militia, listed as an active militia group in the SLPC report said, "He's after our guns. Obama's been the best gun salesman there ever was." LeStage broadcasts training videos across the country on a weekly basis. The videos are aimed to help members survive an economic meltdown or a state of anarchy.
LeStage said, If Obama is re-elected, "we will probably lose our republic. We will probably turn into another socialist country." On a related online forum one commenter posted, "Nov. 8th should be the start of the next civil war. May GOD guide us safely."
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
Largest fault slip
Tectonic plates, lubrication behind 2011 tsunami
Ravages of diabetes
Man documents decay to his own feert
Staying with Medicaid
Most in Washington state go with tried, true
Same-sex unions popular
Washington reports highest number of unions
World unprepared for increasing cases by 2050
Young disenchanted with Obamacare
Nelson Mandela dies
South African statesman led nation from aparthied
Principles are expensive
Republican governors missing out on Medicaid
Pit of despair
Refugees deported back to Tijuana face strife
World pledges funds to battle AIDS, TB, malaria
College loan debt
Seven out of 10 students graduates in debt
Threat to way of life
Wealth disparity in U.S. major threat, Obama says
Martin Bashir resigns
MSNBC host leaves after Sarah Palin comment
New security threat
'Air gap" of keyboard strokes pose Internet threat