Orthodox Christians Are Thankful for Catholic Bishops' Defense of Religious Liberty
to help build America's cities and towns, its infrastructure and institutions, its enterprise and culture, only to have their posterity stripped of their God given rights."
Similar public statements containing the same calls for civil disobedience and uncompromising stance for Christian moral teaching were also issued by Archbishop Dennis Schnurr of Cincinnati and Bishop David Ricken of Green Bay within days of each other. More Catholic Bishops soon followed with their own individual letters denouncing the oppressive HHS edict.
The tide of Catholic opposition and criticism has grown and intensified since January. To date all 181 Catholic Bishops who head diocese in America (100% of them) have spoken out and denounced Obama's HHS mandate. These bishops not only issued public statements condemning the mandate, but many of them read their statements at diocesan Masses or included them in parish bulletins on Sunday. What an amazing public witness for Christ and righteousness!
Especially encouraging and inspiring is Cardinal Timothy Dolan's fearless and consistent moral leadership in this crisis. He continues to speak clearly and with authority on the HHS mandate: "This is not just about contraception, abortion-causing drugs, and sterilization-although all should recognize the injustices involved in making them part of a universal mandated health care program. It is not about Republicans or Democrats, conservatives or liberals. It is about people of faith. This is first and foremost a matter of religious liberty for all."
His unwavering defense of the Christian faith and the religious liberties of all Americans shines forth in his latest letter, co-signed by Bishop William Lori, addressed to his brother Bishops. "We cannot rest when faced with so grave a threat to the religious liberty for which our parents and grandparents fought. In this moment in history we must work diligently to preserve religious liberty and to remove all threats to the practice of our faith in the public square. . President Obama should rescind the mandate, or at the very least, provide full and effective measures to protect religious liberty and conscience," writes Cardinal Dolan. This is indeed legitimate Christian authority and faithful servant leadership as reflected in the lives of the Apostles and Disciples of Christ and embodied in the Scriptures!
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, Orthodox Christians recognize the importance and significance of the battle before us. We support your steadfast defense of the sanctity of life and the moral teaching of the Christian faith. We continue to pray for all the faithful and courageous Catholic Bishops fighting to protect all our religious liberties. May our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ continue to bless, protect, and guide them in the holy and worthy work they're doing on behalf of all Americans, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: HHS Mandate, Religious liberty, Edict, Sebelius, Free Exercise of Religion, Orthodox, Orthodox Bishops, Archbishop Jonah, Cardinal Dolan, Chris Banescu
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?