Jurassic Park becomes real (almost).
Harvard biologist claims to be able to reverse evolution.
Scientists at Harvard University announce that they have "rewound" evolution producing a chicken with an alligator-like snout by manipulating its DNA. Perhaps not quite Jurassic Park, but it's certainly something akin.
Evolutionary biologists explain that modern birds may be among the closest living relatives to dinosaurs.
Evolutionary biologists have long claimed that birds are closely related to reptiles, having evolved feathers in place of scales and learning to fly as a result of millions of years of natural selection. Now they may have yet more evidence to support the theory.
In addition to developing the understanding of evolutionary theory, the process is hailed as a means of detecting and possibly eliminating birth defects in children before they are born. The ability to easily manipulate genes could also prove useful in adapting species of animals to better survive the effects of climate change which many scientists claim threatens countless species.
The mere addition of a protein to the DNA is all that appears to have been required to undo millions of years of evolution. Dr. Abzhanov was able to stop the development of selected molecules which themselves develop into particular features. This method of molecular manipulation could allow researchers to encourage or prevent the development of particular features in organisms, possibly including humans, thus giving the research a very practical application, which would be to prevent birth defects in humans.
Dr. Abzhanov plans to continue his work and hopes to someday reverse the evolution of the chicken and produce a prehistoric ancestor to the bird. Similar work is being done by Dr. Jack Horner, a paleontologist from the University of Montana. If their efforts are successful, they could recreate some of the chicken's prehistoric ancestors in the lab. More importantly, their work shows just how easy it is to manipulate DNA of animals, and likely humans.
© 2011, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?