Opinion: Leaders or Scoundrels? 2010 Election Could Change Everything
who write the law should be subject to the law. No. the peasant citizenry must applaud the Royals new prescription even as the Royals refuse their own medicine.
This year we've seen ordinary Americans assert their right to question and criticize their government officials, doing it peacefully and legally and yet those citizens are regularly caricatured by this arrogant administration as racist, bigoted, dim-witted crazies who are a dangerous threat to the country. Since when is protesting over-taxation and too much government interference a sign of being unhinged? I seem to remember another group of citizens who got tired of being taxed to death by an overbearing government.George, Tom, Sam, John, Ben, Richard, Stephen, Charles, etc. They pledged to each other, "our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
My, how things have changed. It seems the only things sacred today are "tolerance" (meaning everything must be tolerated except the belief that some things are immoral and just plain wrong), political correctness (we mustn't call something what it actually is), "choice" (legal child extermination) and the right to demean Christianity, especially Catholicism.
Give me a man who would rather die than behave dishonorably. Give me a woman who will not degrade herself or spill her own child's blood. Give me a man who is faithful to his wife and family. Give me a woman who prizes true femininity. Give me a leader who elevates our discourse with his speech. Give me a leader who inspires by virtue of his character and actions.
I'll take a man who's made a mistake, acknowledged it honestly, taken responsibility, and worked to correct it any day over one who passes the blame, covers it up or tries to rewrite history. I'll take a man who has failed once or twice over a pompous prince.
Give me a leader who serves. Give me a leader whose strength is his humility and integrity; whose gift is her savvy and wisdom and grace.
Such men and women will be the reward of the citizens who diligently seek them, support them, demand them, and frankly, become them. How long will we punish ourselves with tyrants, thieves and scoundrels? I still believe there are men and women with honor out there and they could be our elected leaders. (I've made my choice for our 45th President!) The question is, will we choose them?
Jennifer Hartline is a grateful Catholic, a proud Army wife and mother of four precious children (one in Heaven). She is a contributing writer for Catholic Online. She is also a serious chocoholic. Visit her at My Chocolate Heart.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: leadership, candidates, catholic, catholic vote, politics, fidelity, virtue, elections, midterm elections, democrat, republican
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?