Potential Human Beings? O'Reilly Slams Abortion Euphemisms, then Uses One
human being, but not O'Reilly. O'Reilly is Catholic, and a high profile one to boot. The responsibility of his faith obliges him to know better and to defend the humanity and right to life of every child in the womb from the moment of conception, period.
In fairness, O'Reilly has on many occasions been a vocal advocate for the preborn and I appreciate his willingness to speak out when no one else in the media would dare. He helped Jill Stanek put the spotlight on Christ Hospital's infanticide over a decade ago. He was willing to call the late Dr. George Tiller exactly what he was - a baby killer. He didn't shy away from pointing out the funding of abortion in Obamacare. In many ways, O'Reilly is an ally in the fight to protect the preborn.
Yet, like so many Catholics, he seems to be either ignorant of authentic Catholic teaching or uncomfortable defending it.
For all our sakes, let's review what the Church teaches about the human person: "Man exists as a unique and unrepeatable being, he exists as an "I" capable of self-understanding, self-possession and self-determination.However, it is not intellect, consciousness and freedom that define the person, rather it is the person who is the basis of the acts of intellect, consciousness and freedom. These acts can even be absent, for even without them man does not cease to be a person." (Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, 131)
As to the cowardly tendency of many to say that abortion is "between a woman and her God," we should remember this:
"Certain sins, moreover, constitute by their very object a direct assault on one's neighbor. Such sins in particular are known as social sins.Social too is every sin against the rights of the human person, starting with the right to life, including that of life in the womb." (CSDC, 118)
Regarding the alleged "right" to abortion, the teaching is crystal clear, there is none. There IS a Right to Life:
"The right to life, from conception to its natural end is the condition for the existence of all other rights and, in particular, implies the illicitness of every form of procured abortion and of euthanasia." (CSDC, 155)
"Concerning the 'methods' for practicing responsible procreation, the first to be rejected as morally illicit are sterilization and abortion. The latter in particular is a horrendous crime and constitutes a particularly serious moral disorder; far from being a right, it is a sad phenomenon that contributes seriously to spreading a mentality against life." (CSDC, 233)
In truth, birth does not elevate the humanity of the child to a new, previously unattained status. The child in the womb is fully human from the moment of conception and as Catholics, we are gladly burdened with the duty to proclaim and defend this truth against the deceptive euphemisms of our time. We're not lacking in this country for public Catholics who don't know and don't live their faith, or worse, flaunt their open disregard for Church teaching. What we need are more Catholics who know their faith thoroughly and profess it unapologetically.
Bill O'Reilly has great potential to become such a Catholic. Each of us has that potential. Here's hoping we all exceed our potential.
(By the way, the Compendium is available on Amazon.com and Catholic bookstores everywhere. Every Catholic should have one.)
Jennifer Hartline is a grateful Catholic, a proud Army wife and mother of four precious children (one in Heaven). She is a contributing writer for Catholic Online. Visit her at My Chocolate Heart.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: abortion, choice, life, prochoice, prolife, O'Reilly, Factor, BillO'Reilly
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?