What about that 'Executive Order?' Abortion in Three States with Federal Money?
Blood Money Held Hostage by Pro-Life Pressure
It's been quite a week for the abortion industry. First Pennsylvania, then New Mexico and Maryland; all three states released the details of their high-risk insurance pool, aka Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) - and lo and behold, these federally-funded PCIP's were all found to cover abortions. Did vigilant Pro-Life Citizens prevent further advance of the Culture of death?
Then candidate Barack Obama with Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards. Planned Parenthood was a strong supporter of the candidate and is a strong ally of the President now. Both pro-aborts and pro-lifers have known all along: Obamacare funds abortions and the Executive Order will not prevent it.
First Pennsylvania, then New Mexico and Maryland; all three states released the details of their high-risk insurance pool, aka Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) - and lo and behold, these federally-funded PCIP's were all found to cover abortions.
Under Obama's health care plan, each state will have its own PCIP to give temporary health coverage to those who can't presently get health insurance because of a pre-existing condition. The states can either create their own PCIP or allow the Department of Health and Human Services to run their program directly. Kathleen Sebelius has emphasized that each state's program will be "funded entirely by the federal government." $5 billion dollars is marked for this purpose.
Pennsylvania is one of 29 states who decided to write their own PCIP. DHHS approved PA's plan and the state is set to receive $160 million dollars. Once the details of the plan were examined, however, it quickly became clear that PA's program would include abortion coverage for any reason except sex-selection.
But weren't we assured repeatedly by Obama and Pelosi and Reid and Biden and Stupak that something like this couldn't and wouldn't happen? What about the Executive Order that promised not one dime of taxpayer dollars would be spent on abortion coverage?
As it turns out, the Executive Order only mentions restricting the use of federal dollars for abortion in health insurance exchanges and community health centers; it says nothing about PCIP's. The abortion lobby was well aware of this hidden loophole in the health care bill, which is why they so aggressively opposed the Stupak Amendment, because it would have plugged the hole by specifically preventing funds from covering abortion in any plans created by the bill, including the high-risk pool.
Remember, after President Obama signed his worthless Executive Order, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards herself called the order merely a "symbolic gesture" and praised the bill for providing women the "reproductive care" they need. She wasn't worried about getting her funds because she knew the money was coming, no matter what assurances were made to the pro-life community.
Well, once the National Right to Life Committee discovered the "loophole" in the law and exposed PA's abortion coverage and the Obama administration's duplicity, things got hairy. DHHS quickly backpedaled and issued a revised statement regarding the rules for the PCIP's in every state, saying that they will actually be required to follow all federal laws. It was a tacit admission of the reality every pro-life group as well as the Catholic bishops have been saying all along: Obamacare funds abortion.
The proof is in the reaction of the pro-aborts - they're boiling mad and feeling betrayed. Cecile Richards expressed her deep disappointment at the administration's decision to "unnecessarily and voluntarily" impose limits on abortion funding. NARAL sent out an email saying they are "outraged that such a decision could come from a pro-choice president we helped elect," and asking people to contact the White House and "tell President Obama that this new policy is unacceptable..." and to ask him to "remove the abortion-coverage ban immediately." (So, wait... you mean there really wasn't an abortion-coverage ban to begin with?!)
The National Women's Law Center sent a similar message to its email list, saying the Administration has in effect applied the Stupak Amendment to the PCIP's and now "vulnerable women" will not get the abortion coverage they need. They vowed they "will not rest until the restrictions on abortion coverage are fixed." NARAL, Planned Parenthood, the NWLC, and every pro-abort in the country knew that the promise of no abortion coverage in the health care bill was a lie. They knew the Executive Order wouldn't really stop the money from flowing into their bloody coffers. They were satisfied and content - until this week.
Now the gig is up. Now this back door is being closed.
But it wasn't just Pennsylvania. New Mexico and Maryland were also found to have PCIP's that would cover abortions. Now all three states have had to revise their plans and cancel their abortion coverage since the cat's been dragged out of the bag. How many other states have similar PCIP's? Each state's plan will have to be carefully examined for these ...
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?