Tim Tebow’s Pro-Life Commercial Causing Major Superbowl Stir
A pro-life ad has created a greater stir this year than the superbowl game where it will be televised.
(Tim Tebow) The Heisman-winning collegiate superstar is featured in a 30 second ad, funded by Focus on the Family, with his mother. They will tell the story of her high-risk pregnancy when she and her husband were missionaries in the Philippines. Advised to have an abortion, she chose life and Tim Tebow was born.
The Heisman-winning collegiate superstar is featured in a 30 second ad, funded by Focus on the Family, with his mother. They will tell the story of her high-risk pregnancy when she and her husband were missionaries in the Philippines. Advised to have an abortion, she chose life and Tim Tebow was born.
The National Organization of Women and other pro-abortion women’s groups are throwing a yellow flag and crying foul, claiming CBS has a long-standing commitment to avoid controversial advertising.
Erin Matson, Vice-President of the National Organization of Women to Politico, “The abortion debate has no place in the Super Bowl. I organize abortion rights rallies all the time and I recognize how inappropriate it would be for me to sit in the stands with signs at the Super Bowl.”
Matson, along with others, such as Jehmu Greene, President of the Women’s Media Center, and the Feminist Majority Foundation have called for CBS to refuse the ad.
CBS told the Washington Post on Tuesday that it had received numerous e-mails - both critical and supportive - since a coalition of women's groups began a protest campaign Monday
According to the Post, on Tuesday the network indicated “that the decision to air the Tebow ad reflected a change in its policies toward advocacy ads that has evolved over the past several years.”
In an interview with Politico, Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony list, endorsed CBS’s decision. “Women can be trusted with information,” she stated, “and they certainly don’t need to be protected from the idea that if they have a crisis pregnancy that they can choose life.”
Tebow, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2007, has never been reluctant to share his faith in Christ, including writing Bible verses in white on the black smudges under his eyes during games.
He will enter the NFL draft this year.
Randy Sly is the Associate Editor of Catholic Online. He is a former Archbishop of the Charismatic Episcopal Church who laid aside that ministry to enter into the full communion of the Catholic Church in 2006.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?