Fort Hood and Killeen, Texas remember other violent days
Fort Hood and nearby Killeen, Texas are still in a state of shock regarding today's violent attack, but there are other memories.
Hilary Shine, a spokeswoman for the city of Killeen, Texas, stated “Unfortunately, this is a day we had dreaded. Every time you hear of a mass casualty situation in Killeen, you think of Luby’s. ...
She was referring to a day of horror for Killeen, located next door to Fort Hood. It was the scene for what has been called the Luby’s Massacre in 1991.
Wikipedia describes it this way: “On October 16, 1991, (George Jo) Hennard drove his 1987 Ford Ranger pickup truck through the front window of a Luby's Cafeteria at 1705 East Central Texas Expressway in Killeen, yelled ‘This is what Belton did to me!,’ then opened fire on the restaurant's patrons and staff with a Glock 17 pistol and later a Ruger P89.”
He stalked, shot, and killed 23 people and wounded another 20 before committing suicide. Hennard even reloaded several times and had ammunition left over during the massacre before taking his own life.
Then, there was the shooting only a few months ago in July when a violent event occurred at Fort Hood. Just after midnight on a Friday evening a solider fired a gun into a crowd at the McNair Housing Facility at Fort Hood striking a fellow soldier. He died later at Darnall Medical Center on post.
Specialist Armando Baca, of the 1st Cavalry Division, was arrested later that morning at the main gate for the shooting.
The citizens of Fort Hood and Killeen now have another sad day to add to their memories, November 5.
“Here in City Hall, it’s panic,” Shine said. “We all have friends and family members who work or have business on Fort Hood.”
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?